[Sigia-l] IA or UXA? Which do you prefer?

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 3 19:58:03 EDT 2007

Susan Doran:

> like it or not, IA grew out of LIS.

That's a shallow, ahistorical appreciation of what info arch is or has been.
History is full of examples of IA from portalonos to various medical
classification systems over the millennia. I said this here, for example,
about three years ago:

"I've cited Linnaeus' efforts as one of the earlier information architecture
exercises in history several times here. Given the circumstances under which
he established his namespace schema, the task remains a monumental
accomplishment of foresight that stood the test of time. Imagine being asked
to design a web site with a lifecycle expectation of 250 years!"

<http://www.info-arch.org/lists/sigia-l/0409/0083.html>

It depends.
If it didn't, you'd be out of a job.