[Sigia-l] Ethnography - using actors in fieldstudies

Jessica Enders jessica at formulate.com.au
Wed Nov 28 00:18:07 EST 2007

Hi Jayson

What you're describing sounds equivalent to "Mystery Shopping" used by
market researchers. A mystery shopper is a trained person who pretends
to be a customer - of an unsuspecting shop assistant - and then reports
back on the experience. Works quite well if the shop assistant can't
pick that they are being mystery shopped, something that I think you
might struggle with in your situation. Most visits to a financial
adviser are repeat visits so "new customers" are going to stick out
like a sore thumb. Another thing that might be problematic is that the
first visit to a financial adviser is usually different to subsequent
visits - at least in Australia - so the experience you're measuring is
not likely to be representative.

Are you sure that you're not going to be able to get the information
you need by talking to the financial advisers without the clients
present? I have done a number of such interviews across Australia and
found the advisers very forthcoming, provided you were explicit about
confidentiality.

Cheers

Jessica Enders
Director