[Sigia-l] Optimal Screen Size for 1024 x 768 Resolution?

Tim Beadle tim.beadle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 09:52:49 EST 2007

On 21/11/2007, Jodi Bollaert <jodi at bluesunworks.com> wrote:
> The IAs in my work group have been asked to specify
> the optimal screen size for 1024 x 768 resolution

Cameron Moll came to the conclusion that 960px was the optimum width:
http://www.cameronmoll.com/archives/001220.html

"The great thing about 960, as Moll points out, is that it is
divisible by a remarkable collection of numbers (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10,
12, 15, 16, 20, and other slightly less useful numbers for grid
design)":
http://permanentinkdesign.com/articles/the-permanent-grid/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adactio/535249433/

> We are recommending 960 wide x 560 tall.  However,
> someone told us that Apple is 980, NYtimes is 972.
> FoxSports is 982, ESPN is 990, AOL is 961, and Yahoo
> is 950.
>
> Can anyone explain why there might be so many
> variations?

Because not everyone's working to a sane grid, or even a grid at all?

Tim