[Sigia-l] Canberra IA Cocktail Hour: Thursday 15 November 2007

Andrew Boyd facibus at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 21:15:56 EST 2007

Hi Juan,

the answer is "it depends" :)

There is an argument with going with what people are used to - that
said, we're adaptable.

Some systems deliberately mix the button order to ensure that the
reader/user is both awake and human.

There is no best practice. Best practice isn't. The closest thing I
can think of is "match the user expectation consistently unless there
is a specific reason not to" but this is so vague as to be useless :)

What is it that you want to achieve? A rapidly used system or one that
slows people down deliberately?

Cheers, Andrew

On Nov 9, 2007 12:01 PM, Juan Ruiz <Juan.Ruiz at hyro.com> wrote:
> I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but I haven't been able to
> find a final recommendation.
>
> Is there a best practice to determine the order of the OK / Cancel
> buttons?
>
> [ OK ] [ Cancel ]    or    [ Cancel ] [ OK ]
>
> In reference to operating systems and software application, Microsoft
> display OK-Cancel, while Apple displays Cancel-OK. What about web
> applications?
>
> Thanks,
> -Juan

> IA Summit 2008: "Experiencing Information"
> April 10-14, 2008, Miami, Florida
>
> -----
> *Plain text, please; NO Attachments

---