[Sigia-l] When will you buy one?

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Wed May 30 01:55:47 EDT 2007

[Microsoft's] Surface has no cables or external USB ports for plugging in
peripherals. For that matter, it has no keyboard, no mouse, no trackball ‹
no obvious point of interaction except its screen.

Gattis took out a digital camera and placed it on the Surface. Instantly,
digital pictures spilled out onto the tabletop. As Gattis touched and
dragged each picture, it followed his fingers around the screen. Using two
fingers, he pulled the corners of a photo and stretched it to a new size.
Then, Gattis put a cellphone on the surface and dragged several photos to it
‹ just like that, the pictures uploaded to the phone. It was like a magic
trick. He was dragging and dropping virtual content to physical objects. I'm
not often surprised by new technology, but I can honestly say I'd never seen
anything like it.

Watch video on page 1 & 3:
<http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4217348.html>

I have seen previews of this (the coffee table thingy) about a year ago. At
that time there was no mention of the price ($5,000-10,000) or deployment
(end of 2007). I had contemplated, of all things, a financial application
based on what I saw then.

You think this is just an overpriced toy? Or a UI/interaction paradigm
breaker?

----
Ziya

Design is doing for a dime what anyone can do for a dollar.