[Sigia-l] RIA: the wrong tree?

Jonathan Baker-Bates Jonathan.Baker-Bates at lbi.com
Fri May 25 05:06:49 EDT 2007

Well that's a different kettle. I'd give that a cautious yes as long as
the method of gauging that efficacy is sound (ie it's not a f-ing focus
group, or something equally lame).

> Needless to say,
> there's been a stupendous explosion of web apps over the last
> decade, any evidence that users prefer richer UI/desktop apps
> over web UIs when given a comparable choice?

My sensors do not detect any research in this area, although a related
thread on this list about hyperbolic tree interfaces is related.

> None of the 37signals.com stuff, for example, is
> desktop-based, yet they are all effective tools without being
> encumbered with 'rich UIs'. Have they made the wrong choice?

Ah, bad example there I'm afraid. Having used Basecamp for the past 9
months on a project, I hate everything those people do. Basecamp makes
our entire team scream in agony. Like the fools we are, we fought
against this reaction at first because 37S are supposed to be the doodz.
We realise they're not, but have all our project info in there so we
have to keep using the damn thing - and continue to scream in agony.

Sorry - totally off-topic. I apologise.

> > Nice weather we're having in London by the way.
>
> Won't last long. :-)

I'll be happy with 48 hours.

Jonathan