[Sigia-l] RIA: the wrong tree?

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Thu May 24 01:25:14 EDT 2007

"On more than a few occasions‹most recently in the context of Avalon
[Windows Presentation Foundation]‹I¹ve observed here that both IT admins and
end-users prefer browser-based apps to traditional compiled clients, for
everything except content creation. Every time, I get emails and incoming
pointers from people saying 'You just don¹t get it, the Web interfaces are
so tired, we really need a richer UI paradigm.' The interesting thing is
that these reactions are always‹every time, without exception‹from
developers. Not once has an end-user type person written in saying they
wished they could have a richer interface like the kind they used to have in
compiled desktop apps."

So says Tim Bray, co-inventor of XML, currently at Sun:

<http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/11/03/>

Is he right?

----
Ziya

In design, interaction is the last resort.