[Sigia-l] info on neighborhoods in u.s. cities

Frank Shepard fgshepard at gmail.com
Wed May 16 13:24:32 EDT 2007

Susan,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. It's my understanding (subject to
correction, of course) that zip codes are tied to population density,
and this is one reason that a variety of options is desirable. A town
with a small population may indeed have many neighborhoods for a
single zipcode, making the latter a much less useful tool for locating
addresses that are nearby. And in a densely populated area, such as
Manhattan, where you have a high diversity of communities distributed
in a small area, neighborhood names are much more useful and commonly
used than zipcodes, and even intersections. So it is a tricky
situation. I'm hoping to find a standard mapping of neighborhoods to
zipcodes as a way to start.  Thanks for your input.

Best,
Frank