[Sigia-l] Web 2.0 99% bad

Eric Reiss elr at e-reiss.com
Tue May 15 02:13:50 EDT 2007

Andrew Boyd wrote:
I feel that there is a difference between:
- "Web 2.0 is no excuse for a poor user experience" that I've heard
on this list (and that I support fully, you could ask the poor devils
that I've beta tested for and hounded mercilessly), and
- "Web 2.0 is a waste of space, 99% of content is provided by 1% of
users" (to generalise after Jakob's generalisations).

I fully support the former, and deplore the latter as reactionary.

- - -

Well, Andrew, we have no argument there - except that there is
nothing in the Nielsen article that even comes close to your
"generalisation of Jakob's generalisations."

The "99% bad" comment started with Ziya, not with Jakob.

To quote from the actual article, Nielsen said:
"There was a risk, he said, of a return to the dotcom boom days when
many sites, such as Boo.com, looked great but were terrible to use.

"That was just bad," he said. "The idea of community, user generated
content and more dynamic web pages are not inherently bad in the same
way, they should be secondary to the primary things sites should get
right."

"The main criticism or problem is that I do not think these things
are as useful as the primary things," he said.

Personally, I think Nielsen has hit it right on the head.

Cheers,
Eric
- - - -
Eric Reiss