[Sigia-l] FW: Brilliant or doomed?

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 23:36:48 EDT 2007

pauric:

> <http://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+1+mile+in+kilometers>

Yes, the abstraction of various functionalities buried in Google's search
box is terrific. You can also do the same 'natural language' query as:

"1 mi = ? km" or even "1mi=?km"

and get the same result.

This, however, is parsing of user-entered query strings against controlled
vocabulary permutations. It goes all the way back to the promise of
(pre-OSX) Apple Data Detectors:

<http://www.miramontes.com/portfolio/add/>

Or a more recent example in the same vein, ³Add an event² in Backpack:

<http://tinyurl.com/ymc89w>

What I thought was (promisingly) remarkable about the Xerox software is the
fact that it is actually controlling a physical device that has always been
a vexing mystery to users, for as long as color printers have existed.
Frankly, average users have no hope whatsoever of doing any meaningful color
correction, given the absolutely shameful printing apps and drivers written
by hardware manufacturers. Color correction/calibration remains a mystery
even for pros. A generation ago, companies like EFI began the process of
abstracting certain processes for easier manipulation, but still...

To answer my question: image, video and music search UIs, for example, would
benefit tremendously if users could more freely articulate their intentions
via natural language.

----
Ziya

In design, interaction is the last resort.