[Sigia-l] Twitting yet?

Leisa Reichelt leisa.reichelt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 18:40:33 EDT 2007

I think that there are a lot of people for whom Twitter is utterly
unattractive... but for lots of us it has been a really valuable tool.
Aside from the ambient intimacy stuff, Twitter also stopped me from
missing my plane to SXSW when I was headed to the wrong airport (a
friend coincidentally twittered that he was on his way to Gatwick when
I was on my way to Heathrow... it was only because of that Twitter
that I made the flight, and that was cutting it fine!)

Something that's been bothering me about the way that people are
criticising Twitter is that they are saying that it is adding extra
noise to their lives, and addicting them to an information stream that
is not valuable.

This is really starting to annoy me. I mean, shouldn't we all take
personal responsibility for what we do with our attention. Just like
TV, twitter doesn't force you to listen or be distracted ... you chose
that. Or not.

It sounds a bit like knowledge workers blaming their tools....do you think?

On that note, and in response to Ziya's question:

>If there were a gadget that *automatically* twittered peoples' life would
>you make it illegal?

Not sure I'd make it illegal but I definitely wouldn't sign up for it.
I twitter consciously, knowing that what I Twitter will turn up on
Google searches etc. and also that what I'm twitting goes out to all
kinds of people with all different contexts.

For me, thoughtful Twittering is the best. People who twitter
thoughtlessly are rapidly removed from my 'follow' list.
Leisa Reichelt
Contextual Research & User Centred Design

leisa.reichelt at gmail.com
www.disambiguity.com