[Sigia-l] Edge design

Antoine.Valot at ins.com Antoine.Valot at ins.com
Thu Mar 15 12:33:11 EDT 2007

To pursue the analogy, allowing environmental changes means that you
allow for self-destruction. Patterns of use can eventually kill
usability. For instance, delicious had the potential to become a
near-universally useful tool, but the preponderance of CSS/AJAX
designers on delicious means that when I show it to business folks,
their answer is "this is a site for web designers. I'm not a web
designer."

In this case, the web2.0 crowd has burrowed deep into this ecological
niche, and saturated it. The reef is overgrown with rounded-corner
algae, which are slowly choking other life forms. The reef might be
killing itself.

Ecological models sound attractive, because of their organic growth and
self-organizing characteristics, which makes them adaptable and close to
effort-free... but let's remember that evolution is essentially a dumb
process, favoring chance, timing, and immediacy over value. Survival of
the fittest doesn't mean survival of the best. There are many good
articles and blog posts out there that don't follow the "12 ways to do
XYZ" pattern, and therefore don't win the delicious/dig popularity
contests.

So it feels to me that power will come from an ability to nurture and
influence natural organic systems to maintain balance. Biodiversity is a
very delicate balance, and while building online communities or
taxonomies that grow organically has proved relatively easy to do,
building balanced, diverse, rich ecosystems of thought will likely
require much more sophistication.

Antoine Valot  |  Senior Information Architect / Business Analyst  |  BT
INS  |  Cell: 303.995.5618  |  Email: antoine.valot at bt.com

This electronic message contains information from BT INS, Inc, which may
be privileged or confidential.  The information is intended for use only
by the individual(s) or entity named above.  If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this electronic message in error, please notify me by telephone
or email (to the number or email address above) immediately.

Activity and use of the BT INS, Inc  e-mail system is monitored to
secure its effective operation and for other lawful business purposes.
Communications using this system will also be monitored and may be
recorded to secure effective operation and for other lawful business
purposes.

BT INS Inc, 1600 Memorex Drive, Suite 200, Santa Clara California
95050-2842  United States