[Sigia-l] Design: Dictatorship or democracy?

Maria Cordell mcordell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 09:19:08 EDT 2007

On 6/29/07, Jonathan Baker-Bates <Jonathan.Baker-Bates at lbi.com> wrote:

> > <http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/jun2007/id200706
> > 27_004206.htm>
> >
> > "Instinct and taste"? What, no white lab coats, best
> > practices, research papers, eye tracking, alertbox threat
> > levels...? Shocking.
>
> Funnily enough, I asked an assembly of about 50 user experience
> designers yesterday whether they could name any "UCD triumphs" on the
> web. By this I meant web sites that are generally acknowledged as have
> great experience design (like Flickr or NYT) but brought about by a
> demonstrable UCD method.
>
> Didn't get many suggestions. I have to say this does worry me a bit [...]

One rather stellar example I've found is the moo.com ordering process,
which involves selecting images (stored on a user's local system or on
a photo service like flickr) for printing onto moo cards and related
products. I don't know how they designed it, but every step of the
process and experience was clearly very well thought out all the way
to the way the physical product is packaged and delivered.

Maria