[Sigia-l] Surveys of user search behaviour

Micky Mourelo mikimou at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 16:04:08 EDT 2007

> I've seen many statements along the lines of "surveys show that most
> users type only one keyword, and only 7.232% of the time do they use
> two keywords etc etc etc". I'm writing an article for which I need to
> look at some such studies, see what they say, and then cite them.
> Does anyone have any references? Web references are best, of course.

I know there are, I did a couple myself, but I can't find them now
(not that I'm trying really hard, sorry, seems like ages ago, moved to
another city...).

Try these:

http://www.rankstat.com/html/en/seo-news1-most-people-use-2-word-phrases-in-search-engines.html
http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox45-search-phrases.html

I used to work for a major European Search Engine, and I can tell you
first hand that the average for 4 years, 75M pageviews per month on
average, was 2.1 words. In the end I'm  as quotable as what you
complained about, but if horizontal search engines suit you, you can
perform your own valid, citeable test anytime.

http://msxml.excite.com/info.xcite/searchspy/
http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/searchspy/
http://www.metaspy.com/info.metac.spy/metaspy/

http://www.keyworddiscovery.com/ has stats as well.

Hope that helps or at least leads you in some good way.