[Sigia-l] Finding good junior people ...... was Re: What happened to the good IAs

Stephen Collins trib at acidlabs.org
Sat Jun 23 04:27:27 EDT 2007

Margaret

On 22/06/2007, at 8:02 PM, Margaret Hanley wrote:
> Here's the summary
> In general the differences are based around skills and competencies.

I think this is a valid approach.  I would suggest that a framework
governed by a set of core competencies, expressed as increasingly
more complex use and expression of skills is appropriate (or so my HR
management spouse would have me tell you as she watches here over my
shoulder).  So, the competencies remain the same across all levels,
but the expression of those competencies increases in complexity and
strategic understanding as seniority increases.

> Juniors - always work on a project with another more senior IA, who
> reviews their work. Once they are able to work without that level
> of supervision, they would be ready to progress

Yes.  Absolutely.  A junior may well be able to undertake several
tasks independently, but they would always be subject to review or
guidance.

> Mid-weight - can work as sole person on the project - very hands-on
> and only works on one or two projects at a time.  Their work may
> get little to no detailed review by another IA unless things hit a
> sticky patch.

I think peer review is always valuable, but yes, effectively
independent on low-complexity projects or projects that have minimal
impact at an organisational strategic or politically complex level.

> Senior - works with no supervision; has the ability to work a
> strategic, politically complex projects; can work on multiple
> projects; leads a team within a project defining work and providing
> direction; gives back to the community - internally mentoring and
> providing direction; or externally - volunteering and working in
> the professional community.

Nail on the head.  This is where I find myself operating the vast
majority of the time.  My current project is especially politically
sensitive and the subject of some significant public profile for the
client, a major Australian Government department.

I also find myself frequently engaged in discussion and moves to push
IA and UX work generally to a strategic level at the front end of
projects.  Not always simple with my client as their systems
development and project management model means that the IAs ad UX
people rarely get exposed to a project until after scoping in a
systems sense.  Then it's a fight to go back to the business and find
out what they REALLY need.  I'm fighting hard alongside a few others
to change this, but this is a client with strong bureaucracy built in
and a resistance to change across many levels.

Steve
e trib at acidlabs.org
w www.acidlabs.org
b www.acidlabs.org/services/blog
t +61 410 680722
skype trib22

acidlabs
strategies, tools and processes to empower knowledge workers

thoughtglue
the mental adhesive for creative knowledge workers
www.thoughtglue.com