[Sigia-l] Finding good junior people ...... was Re: What happened to the good IAs

Margaret Hanley mairead at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 06:02:00 EDT 2007

Aside - Oh why, oh why do these discussions happen at 1am (GMT)!

On the UX management list, we've been discussing the distinction between junior, mid-level and senior.

Here's the summary
In general the differences are based around skills and competencies. We expect skills in more junior people (wireframes, sitemaps and taxonomies) than competencies (ability to be strategic, lead the team of UX people, communication, persuasion). As people move into a senior role, we expect that they will use the competencies more in their day-to-day role and project work.

Juniors - always work on a project with another more senior IA, who reviews their work. Once they are able to work without that level of supervision, they would be ready to progress

Mid-weight - can work as sole person on the project - very hands-on and only works on one or two projects at a time.  Their work may get little to no detailed review by another IA unless things hit a sticky patch.

Senior - works with no supervision; has the ability to work a strategic, politically complex projects; can work on multiple projects; leads a team within a project defining work and providing direction; gives back to the community - internally mentoring and providing direction; or externally - volunteering and working in the professional community.

Thanks to Richard Dalton, Anne Stevens, Karen Loasby and Lisa Colvin.

Mags

Mags Hanley
Email: mairead at yahoo.com
Mobile: +44 7789 132726