[Sigia-l] Finding good junior people ...... was Re: What happened to the good IAs

Andrew Boyd facibus at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 16:46:50 EDT 2007

On 6/22/07, Weston Thompson <westontt at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I read the post that started the "what happened to the good IAs"
> thread, I was a bit confused.  Having a hard time finding junior
> people? What?
>
> I must say that I am aware of some (many?) junior people who are up
> against the usual "only senior IAs need apply" problem.  If you are
> looking for good junior people, give me a buzz - I know some you might
> want to meet!  I'm based in LA and that's where the juniors I know are
> as well, though most are willing to relocate to some extent.

Hi Weston,

This is an interesting point. I work for a consultancy who employ,
well, consultants. In the consulting side of the business we only hire
people who are able to provide a high level of service from day one,
and that stops us directly hiring junior IAs. Unlike New York, there
really aren't enough people even claiming to be senior IAs here in
Canberra - they are pretty scarce - which means that we can either
import IAs from places where there is a seeming oversupply, or "grow"
our own.

Unlike Los Angeles, we don't get a lot of junior people at our IA
Cocktail Hour - mainly the "real" senior people like Donna Maurer and
Stephen Hall - but I know that they are out there. The situation here
might be skewed by the government-centric nature of the work. I am
concerned that there are fewer opportunities here in Canberra than
there could be for junior IAs to grow.

Eric S: can you speak to the situation in Sydney? Is there a
recognised "growth channel" for new IAs there? Anyone else, anywhere
else?

Cheers, Andrew

---
Andrew Boyd