[Sigia-l] Sigia-l Digest, Vol 33, Issue 24

Karl Fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Thu Jun 21 12:49:58 EDT 2007

> First, there is a vast difference betweeen doctors or
> bridge-builders and information architects.

Boy, is there ever! And you're right to highlight that certification
can take a wide variety of forms. Doctors and architects are at the
far end of the spectrum, and how they license professionals is not
applicable to IAs at this stage. Not even close!

Still, I think it's worth considering all forms of certification. It
helps us see a fuller set of pros and cons and puts "simpler" forms
of certification in perspective.

Plus, IA tends to think of itself as an important and increasingly
vital profession in our information rich society. If that's true,
then we may, years from now, benefit from pursuing a more formalized
and legalistic approach.

For now, my feeling is that we should put it aside and not pursue
it, while encouraging formal education programs (like Baltimore &
Kent State, though being a prof at Kent State I have a conflict of
interest!) and *maybe* seeing some organizations (I'm thinking the
IAI) develop informal but highly regarded certificates. So, proceed
with caution, take small steps to test the waters, and keep circling
around to this every so often.

--
Karl Fast
http://www.livingskies.com/