[Sigia-l] What happened to the good IAs

Christopher Fahey chris.fahey at behaviordesign.com
Thu Jun 21 10:32:25 EDT 2007

> It seems a bit hypocritical to me that some of them
> now want to deny recent entrants to the field the
> kind of rapid career progression they had enjoyed
> themselves.

Perhaps it's because managers have woken up from the 1990's internet
boom acid trip and now realize that putting a 23-year-old in charge of
the IA for a major web site is, in fact, a dumb idea. It was dumb back
then and it's dumb now, and we don't want to make the same mistake our
old bosses made when they prematurely promoted us for their own
short-term profit. There's nothing hypocritical about that.

And in any event, two wrongs don't make a right.

Finally, not everybody enjoyed "rapid career progression". Some of us
paid our dues for many years before we were able to start enjoying the
financial compensation that many junior-IAs-posing-as-senior-IAs are
asking for today.

Cheers,
-Cf

Christopher Fahey