[Sigia-l] What happened to the good IAs

Karl Fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Thu Jun 21 09:41:26 EDT 2007

> > Certification is a complicated issue.
>
> Why?

There are good reasons both for and against certification. For many
professions, some form of certification has been an essential part
of their survival and growth. For others, it has been a hindrance,
introducing barriers where none are needed, or introducing them too
soon. It's not a simple "yes" or "no" question.

Many professions, perhaps most, eventually introduce some requisite
and formalized certification, education, or licensing (so I'm using
"certification" in broad-ish way). Examples range from cab drivers
and electricians to therapists, clergy, accountants, doctors,
lawyers, and physical architects. Sometimes the drive for
certification is mandated by the state, other times it comes from
within the profession itself.

Some reasons for having certification include setting minimum
educational standards, legitimizing the practice, public safety,
accountability, and obtaining special legal status and/or
protections from the state.

I'm not arguming that IA requires certification, now or ever. There
are good reasons not to do it, especially at this stage.

I am merely pointing out that:

  (a) many professions have some form of certification,
  (b) there are good reasons to do it,
  (c) professions often benefit from it, in the long run

So, I think IA would be foolish to permanently ignore this; to
simply dismiss it with a curt "No, not for us, not now and not
ever."

Certification is too complicated for that. It demands more than a
simple "yes" or "no" answer. It should be explored, debated, and
examined more thoroughly before any decision is made, either for or
against.

It probably isn't necessary for IA today, or even five or ten years
from now. But that doesn't mean certification is either simple or
not applicable to IA. It is a complicated issue and may, at some
point, years from now, be critical to our evolution. Or it may not.

I just don't think we should label it a simple issue, utter a quick
"no," and trudge on our merry way.

--
Karl Fast
http://www.livingskies.com/