[Sigia-l] What happened to the good IAs

Christopher Fahey chris.fahey at behaviordesign.com
Wed Jun 20 19:42:11 EDT 2007

> OK so to play devil's advocate, what about a BOK (Body of
> Knowledge) such as those that are being developed for the BA
> profession and have been developed for the PM profession?

I don't trust certifications for *anything* in the business world. Not
for PMs, BAs, even computer programmers. Almost all of the best people
I've worked with are either wholly uncertified, or in some cases they
only got certified as an afterthought to help fill out their already
impressive abilities or to fulfill a checkbox in some bean counter's
corporate hiring checklist.

I would never trust any certification to guide my hiring decisions, but
especially not for jobs that require creative, original, or strategic
thinking -- and certification certainly does not help with other
critical factors such as how hard-working or pleasant to work with a
person is. If anything, a certification acts as a little bit of a
negative for me, as if the candidate needed something to compensate for
bad recommendations or a lackluster portfolio.

What's so hard about interviewing people to determine their abilities,
and calling their references? I sincerely do not understand this
recurring urge for IA certification.

-Cf

Christopher Fahey