[Sigia-l] IAs vs BAs

Andrew Boyd facibus at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:07:03 EDT 2007

On 6/20/07, Ziya Oz <listera at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Would you posit, "Any use of prototyping is better than none"?

It would be a braver man than I that said that - I can think of
several ways to do prototyping badly, and have seen it done in the
worst way possible (and by BAs, at that). To avoid the circular
argument, let me rephrase: some BAs can and do perform useful
prototyping, but please do not mistake this for "any prototyping is
better than none" or "all BAs do useful prototyping" :) That said, if
they are worth their salt, they can produce a plain language use case
at need to illustrate their understanding of as-is or to-be processes.

> I'm also in favor of shortening the distance between domain experts and
> design, but tools alone don't make that possible, any more than pencil and
> paper alone engender great writing.

Agreed entirely, no argument there. Some people take this to the
extreme (again, using the circular argument, "some bad use of tools"
does not equal "the tools are evil and should not be used by anyone").
The tool is a tool, and can be used for good or for acts of stupidity,
in much the same way that a hammer can be used to bang in a nail, hit
your thumb, or commit a murder.

> The advancement of prototyping tools is certainly making bureaucratic
> documentation and deliverables culture look sillier by the day, so I can't
> possibly be unhappy about that. :-)

I'll keep going out on this particular limb - what if the deliverables
are tools in and of themselves, and can be used for good or evil in
the same manner as prototyping tools?

Cheers, Andrew

---
Andrew Boyd