[Sigia-l] "Getting the design right, and getting the right design"

Patrick Kennedy pat at gurtle.com
Sun Jun 17 20:35:09 EDT 2007

> From: Donna Maurer <donnam at maadmob.net>
>> Does anyone know of any papers, articles, blogs, etc *from the usability
>> camp* that speak to "getting the design right" part of the equation?
>>
> Huh? Did you get your question backwards? The usability camp, as you
> mentioned, have traditionally focused with getting the design right more
> than getting the right design. You just need to look at the UPA schedule
> to see that their focus is still on evaluation methods, with generative
> methods still at the fringes...

Yeah I can confirm this, having just sat through 3 days of the UPA
conference. Which is why Bill's keynote was so good, it was a bit of a
wake-up call; there's a D in UCD for a reason.

Many people are so focussed on evaluation, testing, crunching
numbers...but not actually designing solutions to problems. Some are of
course, and they're the ones to listen to, but they are a minority I think.

Pat

(ps: sorry for coming into this rather late, have been travelling)

--

Patrick Kennedy

phone: +61 (0) 410 506 904
blog:  www.gurtle.com/ppov/