[Sigia-l] "Getting the design right, and getting the right design"

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 15 16:14:53 EDT 2007

Ken Bryson:

> The root cause of the design problem is usually that you built upon the
> wrong design.

(Hopefully, we're not using different definitions here, otherwise please
ignore.)

The root cause of *failure* is not that the "you built upon the wrong
design" but that the framing of the problem was wrong for the desired
solution/experience to begin with.

For example, if you design a music distribution system based on subscription
it doesn't matter how well visually or experientially you design the
delivered solution, since (stipulation) users don't like perpetual fees to
access their music vs. owning it. At the end of the day, all the money and
time spent on 'usability' remedies here would amount to nothing. *All* of
the big label media services thus far have failed and will fail.

For years, my contention has been that *strategic* aspects of design (that
starts long before any #2B touches paper) trumps every other aspect
thereafter. Usability profession, as presently constituted, has little to
contribute in that regard: they focus on symptoms not the root cause.

----
Ziya

The constraint is the design.