[Sigia-l] Just for you women out there

Listera listera at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 10 20:20:55 EDT 2007

Christopher Fahey:

> Because even among design elites there is broad disagreement about what is
> good and bad design.

Surely. But that's different than saying beauty is in the eye of the
beholder. Because if it were (and leaving aside the 'elite' designation for
a moment) design would be dead.

> your own distaste for diamond-studded pink laptops.

(My own personal distastes matter little but just for the record, I'm
convinced that a diamond-studded pink laptop could be designed well, but the
NEC one wasn't it. Whether it should be is another matter.)

Just as the last one here is infinitely better designed than the first, time
be damned:
<http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/03/apple_logos.jpg>

> Is the Hello Kitty laptop bad design because it's hard to use, because it's
> feminine, because it is pink, because it is foreign? Or is it something else?

Something else. ;-)

It's bad in a way similar to this:
<http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/04/flower_power.jpg>

Gratuitous. Pandering. Misapplied. Crude.

----
Ziya

In design, interaction is the last resort.