[Sigia-l] It's started

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 4 15:10:29 EDT 2007

Will Parker:

> It does look like Mr. Chipchase is indeed doing  very good work.

It's hard to know.

15 years and over $100 billion in R&D later the entire cellphone industry
doesn't have much to show for it in terms of software or hw/sw integration.
I'm sure every one of these manufacturers has had many designers (and god
knows how many ethno-antropo-socio-logists), methodologies, committees and
whiteboards all around. Then a complete newbie walks in, starts its
marketing campaign with three commercials unabashedly showcasing its UI and
people begin to drool.

So what does Mr. Chipchase feel today: frustrated? Vindicated? Ready to quit
and join Apple?

Let's recall, after the iMac changed design expectations for PCs or iPod for
MP3 players, to cite a couple of examples, pundits talked about how they
would ignite creativity in the rest of the industry. Did not quite happen
that way.

This is a long way of repeating what I always preach: until and unless
designers assume a business-strategic role, their contributions and
aspirations will be buried under tactical corporate detritus.

----
Ziya

In design, interaction is the last resort.