[Sigia-l] When will you buy one?

Will Parker wparker at channelingdesign.com
Sun Jun 3 14:37:28 EDT 2007

On Jun 2, 2007, at 9:53 PM, Ziya Oz wrote:

> Andrew Boyd:
>
>> fully electronic meeting concept
>
> Everyone seems to have a PC and broadband.
> And yet, people still meet electronically in miniscule numbers.
> What gives?
> Are we not suited for this as a species? Pheromones? Technology?

Meetings are, at bottom, social events, so consider which social
aspects of face-to-face meetings are missing from the electronic
version.

Personally, I'd bet the unpopularity of electronic meetings is
largely due to the lack of body language cues. In a face-to-face,
most people can pick up the reaction of the group to any given event
or proposal just from everyone else's posture. In most situations,
voice alone is not enough to persuade the audience to go along with
your proposals.

I can tell you from personal experience that adding in a video
channel that shows you to your audience and vice-versa does much to
get around this shortcoming. I landed a contract job at Apple in
part, I think, because I proposed an interview via iChat rather than
having them fly me down from Seattle, and in part because I could
keep all the interviewers engaged visually.

- Will

Will Parker
wparker at ChannelingDesign.com

“I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If
that were the case, then Microsoft would have great products.” -
Steve Jobs