[Sigia-l] depicting lifecycle in site maps?

Jonathan Baker-Bates Jonathan.Baker-Bates at lbi.com
Fri Jul 20 09:21:45 EDT 2007

> It got me thinking though ... how do others handle this problem?

In pretty much the same way as you did. Last time this happened I too
used layers as a matter of fact.

I also take the precaution of declaring the site map document dead once
the project settles down and we get into the detail with prototyping and
documentation. Attempting to use a conventional site map to capture
anything other than conceptual content relationships (and perhaps a
couple of other dimensions) is asking for trouble in my experience. I
find that once stakeholders get the idea of the general picture, they
need to focus on the real design artefacts.

That's just the way I work though - I know others have lots of success
maintaining vast site maps with symbols all over them. I just don't know
how they have the time.