[Sigia-l] Is email dead, too?

Frank Shepard fgshepard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 15:05:06 EDT 2007

I think there is more to it than this. Using the mail service on
Myspace, for instance, is experientially different from using regular
email. Every time you send a message, you do so through an interaction
with someone's profile. I think that this limitation -- the so-called
walled-garden -- actually promotes the production of more messages.
This is because a person's profile offers many things that his or her
friends might write about: new pictures, new comments, new friends,
new  blog, new music, updated biography, new people, etc. Just going
to the site and viewing a friend's profile can create the urge to send
a message -- an urge that you might not have otherwise. So, I think
that these limitations actually promote communication (however trivial
it may be).

Frank