[Sigia-l] NYT 7/8/7: Technologys Untanglers: They Make It Really Work

Russell E. Unger russ at userglue.com
Tue Jul 10 01:01:43 EDT 2007

The last line of the article says a lot about the context of the article to
me:

"Fresh Starts is a monthly column about emerging jobs and job trends."

As far as IA/UX/etc. go, there is a bit of a trend happening--I think people
have been discussing those trends on this list, IAI the UX Management lists,
but you're right.  That's not news to us.

But it's now news to other people who aren't us.

To me, a more "public" awareness is a very good thing.  When someone at the
NY Times publishes an article that is pretty easy for any business person to
read and grasp, there is a pretty big benefit to everyone.  UCD101 concepts
are probably the best for this type of an article when you get right down to
it.  As an IA, I'd like to think that I'd author this article for my
audience as a whole, and that audience is probably largely NOT IA-types.

When you start looking at the job outlook for the various roles and you
start to listen to people in hiring positions, there's a pretty clear
message out there:  We're short on seasoned talent and seasoned talent may
be doing a pretty good job of finding the jobs/gigs that make them happy.
Either way, there's a shortage in some areas and more visibility doesn't
seem like a bad thing.  When you look at who is starting to hire "us" (from
tech firms to ad agencies and on and on), there's another pretty clear
message out there:  More companies are starting to "get it" and understand
the value that we bring to the table for them.  In some cases it may be
catch-up or an attempt at a differentiator, but whatever it is, it seems
that more companies are starting to realize the value.

Hell, when's the last time any of us tried to explain what it is that we
"do" without getting a look that was obviously starting to glaze over,
followed by a "That sounds interesting...", followed by a long awkward
pause.

Anyway, I found the article to be pretty simple, if not interesting (and
intriguing), to read--particularly when I put myself in an outsider's
perspective.

--Russ