[Sigia-l] conflict of interest (was: usability testing)

Arthur Fink arthur at arthurfink.com
Sun Jan 28 05:30:37 EST 2007

Conflict of interest is a structural relationship that might
reasonably be expected to provide either the reality or the
appearance of a pressure -- however subtle -- to act in a certain way.

This is the "classical" case:

* I serve on a town board, which is considering a zoning issue for an
applicant who happens to be a major client of mine.  That's
considered a conflict of interest, and I was be expected to recuse
myself, because I might be expected to decide in favor of my client,
lest I upset him and lose his business.  It doesn't matter that I
personally feel completely capable of deciding the case on its merits.

I actually had a prospect to whom I had submitted a proposal, ask for
help in evaluating my proposal and the other competing ones.  I felt
compelled to tell him that he could either use me as a consultant or
consider me as one of the applicants.  I couldn't trust myself to
honestly evaluate my proposal against the others (even though I
certainly fancied that I could!).

But I doubt that this is what matters to most of us.  Here's an issue
closer to home:  Could I design a UI and iplement that UI?  Sure --I
could.  But would my design be biased so that my implementation would
be easier?  (Which, I must say, might not be a bad thing.)  Or, would
my attention to some of the complex implementation issues distract me
from seeing bigger usablity concerns.  The "macho" in me wants to
say, "no problems".  The realist notes that these are real concerns,
and that I would be most comfortable, and offer the most service to
my client, by just doing the design part, and doing it very well.

Having structural ties, biases, limited range of vision, and such are
not necessarily bad things.  What's important is simply that we
recognize them, frolic in our own frailty, and then get to work.

Fine doctors are used to having their clients seek second or third
opinions.  When offered the prospect of a serious surgical procedure,
or the lack of one when some would suggest it's needed, I'd be
inclined to engage another doctor to look over the whole decision
process, the test, etc -- even if I had complete faith in the
integrity and skill of the first doctor.  And when the stakes to my
health are so high --why not?  Well, can we be on the other side.

If there's trust and openness, recognition that testing can be part
of a iterative design process or just a validation effort, and a
genuine desire to serve the client with integrity -- what's the problem?

Arthur Fink