[Sigia-l] conflict of interest (was: usability testing)

Bill Killam bkillam at user-centereddesign.com
Thu Jan 25 08:55:30 EST 2007

>>Ziya wrote: "Conflict of interest *is* bias."

>I disagree with this. A conflict of interest is having two or more
>interests that are in conflict with each other. Eg, your consulting
>firm's and your client's interests, say. Whether you are biased toward
>either, or biased toward a particular methodology etc or another, is a
>separate issue.

Good point.  And I agree.  Bias is a tendency toward a particular position
that interferes with impartiality so it can only be said that a conflict of
interest may result in a person acting in a biases way.  And, if the
conflict of interest is between a person's assignment and keeping their job,
people are often biased toward keeping their job.

Bill
Bill Killam, MA CHFP
President, User-Centered Design, Inc.
20548 Deerwatch Place