[Sigia-l] Usability Testing

Bill Killam bkillam at user-centereddesign.com
Mon Jan 22 22:08:54 EST 2007

>> * I also don't think usability testing is real user involvement.

>Usability testing is QA, not design input. The time for 'real user
>involvement' comes *before* design, when product management

Actually, though you may get use input before design, if you change that to
"during" design, you're back to the point about getting user input during
design being different from independent validation.

You might want to get independent validation of at specific milestones in
the design process (e.g., at the completion of conceptual design, after the
completion of a new IA, after preliminary design, after detailed design,
after operational prototype) depending on your confidence in the design or
if unanswered research questions exist.

Bill