[Sigia-l] The CogTool Project

Steven Pautz spautz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 14:00:35 EST 2007

While it would definitely be great to discover how experienced users
will interact with a system simply by running a simulation, tools such
as GOMS and ACT don't tell us *how* users will behave -- they only
predict performance data based on existing predictions+assumptions
about what the users will do.

If you tell it actions, it will tell you ideal task time.

Personally, I believe this makes it useful for the same sorts of
situations where a "classic" usability test with a specific,
predefined task and a stopwatch is useful: demonstrating the potential
for improvement to project stakeholders. For actually delivering
improvement, however, I'd say it's largely irrelevant, as it can't
provide any insight or information beyond the number of seconds
expected for an expert user to complete a specifically-delineated task
-- and we all know how easily-misinterpreted and -misused that data
can be.

Disclaimer: I haven't used this specific tool, although as near as I
can tell, it seems to just be a GUI sitting on top of an existing
model....
Steven Pautz
Graduate Student
Human Factors Psychology, Clemson University

(Some additional information/thoughts, for anyone who's REALLY bored
and hasn't heard of this before.)

Some of the more advanced models (eg, ACT-R) can be very valuable (and
quite valid/reliable) for cognitive psychologists interested in
internal cognitive mechanisms -- it's accurate enough that one can
show a genuine correspondence between modeled cognitive approaches and
real-world task times -- in essence, it can be used to suggest
validity (or falseness) of a specific model of internal cognition for
a specific task. For that purpose, it's arguably one of the best tools
around.

For design, however, it provides almost no information at all. It
can't generate, suggest, or inspire ideas or potential solutions. It
can only simulate whatever user actions you specifically tell it to
do: it can't read or misread, can't get confused or frustrated, can't
go off course or make mistakes, can't smile or frown, and can't make
comments or suggestions.

It's not supposed to, though, since those things are [presumably]
unlikely to occur for experienced users. Presumably, experienced users
will jump through the task almost mindlessly -- there's no pausing to
figure out where to go or what to do. Cognitive modeling tools can
predict task times rather well for this kind of behavior -- but,
again, they're only returning task time; to my knowledge nobody's even
attempting to get at the user experience.

If "reduce the time needed for expert users to do ABC" is the sole
design goal, cognitive modeling is a Godsend. If the boss believes
that reducing task time for expert users on task ABC will increase
profits, but doesn't believe it can be done, cognitive modeling can
provide data faster and less expensively than real users. For anything
else, I don't believe it will provide any justifiable benefit, either
in resource savings or in the eventual quality of the design solution.