[Sigia-l] Display Size

McIvor, Lee Lee.McIvor at homegroup.org.uk
Fri Feb 16 03:45:57 EST 2007

Hi all,

I'm currently taking the approach of designing a layout appropriate for
my two most common sizes, 800x600 and 1024x768. I'm using javascript
similar to that at colly.com to choose an appropriate layout to serve
(based on CSS) and if javascript isn't available then I'm serving a
liquid layout by default.

Although it is simple to serve liquid layouts, it can still be difficult
to serve complex layouts this way. Using something like the combination
above seems to me to be a good example of graceful degradation. Serving
specific complex layouts where possible and degrading where necessary.

I'm not saying this is the perfect solution, but it's just an
alternative approach that offers a combination of fixed and liquid
layouts.

Lee

Home Group Ltd
Ridley House