[Sigia-l] Finding and Choosing a Consultant

Arthur Fink arthur at arthurfink.com
Fri Feb 2 04:49:51 EST 2007

At 05:32 PM 2/1/2007, Ziya Oz wrote:

>So I'd urge you to not generate an RFP, unless you are absolutely convinced
>that you have fully understood the issues and can indeed frame the problem.
>Otherwise, you should get a consultant do that for you in an engagement
>whose sole/narrow purpose is to identify/frame/refine the problem. Once you
>know that, creating an RFP is that much simpler and infinitely more
>meaningful.

RFP or not, the first priority is, as Ziya says, to identify the
PROBLEM.  Often the client doesn't really know ...and that is not a
criticism.  It can be hard to know.

Let me give an example in another realm:  Our Quaker Meeting knew
that we had a 'problem' with our meeting house.  We needed a
handicapped bathroom, a larger space for social gatherings after
meeting, another classroom.  And we could have sought proposals or
plans to build exactly these.  It all made sense.

But our architect framed it differently.  The EVIDENCE of our problem
was that we felt a need for all of these spaces.  But the main
problem with our building, he found, was a lack of
connectivity.  Spaces that could have worked for each of these needs
were hard to reach.  Stairs and halls were confusing.

The ultimate solution was to cut off part of the meeting room --
making it more square, but smaller.  We'd never have considered this,
as we never found that room too large.  But with the reclaimed space,
we could have a much larger lobby area, space for a very wide stair
with electric lift, and a larger handicapped bathroom.  We also
needed a very modest addition to the building footprint.  To our
surprise the squarer meeting room also feels better.  None of us miss
the longer rectangular shape.

Often people think they are framing the problem, but they are really
trying to state it by offering what they think are solutions to
it.  Most of the time there is more to be discovered.

With this understanding, I'd refine Ziya's suggestion.  Don't write
an RFP for the whole project.  Engage a consultant for the problem
identification phase.  Depending upon the size and style of your
organization, a somewhat formal RFP may be needed for this
phase.  But know that until this phase is complete, there can be no
characterization of the whole project, and certainly no budget for it!

[I'm not modest ... glad to be on your list]

Arthur Fink

          ARTHUR FINK Consulting  arthur at arthurfink.com
           Ten New Island Avenue  Listening to users
       Peaks Island, Maine 04108  Designing for people
              www.ArthurFink.com  User interfaces that work
207.766.5722  cell 207.615.5722  Progress training + consulting