[Sigia-l] More on my request for published proof that scrolling text is bad

Janet Wallace janethia at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 23:52:58 EST 2007

I'm glad to be reminded, from Jared Spool, that:

"I'm going to bet that, once you and your client have watched real
users do real tasks with the design, the scrolling text will become a
footnote against the design discussions that really make a difference
in the user's experience."

and

"p.p.s. The First Corollary to the First Rule of Consulting: "No
amount of published proof will convince someone intent on sticking
beans up their nose to do otherwise.'"

In my haste to show what I know (a little of this and a little of that) I forgot that the point was the usability. If the client really wants scrolling text after watching users test her site, well, by golly, she should have it.

I find the published proof interesting and useful. I sent her one of the articles. But I don't think trying to convince her of my "rightness" is the best thing to do right now. So many more things need fixing. We're going to be working together for a while and I may as well get used to her style.

Janet.