[Sigia-l] Junk science or just lazy?

Frank Shepard fgshepard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 09:18:53 EDT 2007

Ziya wrote:
"since when did word frequency counting become synonymous with
analytical insight?"

Eric responded:
"Er...pretty much since the dawn of search engines. This is also why
we include meta keywords in our code and tag clouds in our layouts."

All due respect, but I don't think that citing the use of meta
keywords offers much support for the idea that word frequency =
analytical insight. Google stopped bothering with them for a reason.
Besides, search engines don't claim to identify "analytical insight"
anyway. Keyword frequency might indicate some form of "relevance"
(c.f., AdWords and Adsense), but *this* relevance and insight are
worlds apart. Otherwise, teachers wouldn't have to grade papers
anymore.

Best,
Frank