[Sigia-l] "Don't make me shave"?

Samantha Bailey samantha at baileysorts.com
Fri Aug 10 05:01:24 EDT 2007

I checked the date on this twice because it read so much like an April
Fool's style joke story (I realize the iPhone wasn't out in April, but..). I
keep waiting for the backlash against the ever-shrinking interface. Not sure
it will come, but the other day I saw a universal remote that was the size
of a cribbage board (about 6 inches wide and 12 inches long) and it was
definitely not a joke. Perhaps as the baby boomers age there will be some
market force pressure in that direction (not that I'm saying a return to the
brick size cell phone is desirable, but it seems there should be a happy
medium that doesn't involve self mutilation!).

I don't have experience with physical product design (as opposed to UI
design) and I haven't seen an actual iPhone up close but in the commercials
the interface appears to be built into the screen as opposed to physical
buttons--if that's the case, seems like the perfect device to experiment
with variable "button" sizing.

Samantha