[Sigia-l] Adapting the Office 2007 Look & Feel :: A Case Study

handa at umich.edu handa at umich.edu
Sat Apr 28 15:52:00 EDT 2007

Hi, folks --

Now that Microsoft Office 2007 has hit the streets, I'm sure that we'll
be seeing lots of desktop software being released for the Microsoft
Windows OS using Office 2007's look and feel.

For folks who design UIs for Window's based desktop applications, this
design style may be new and it will take a little time to study and
learn how to adapt to your own products.

Although I have a day job with a mobile software company, I'm also a
hobbyist programmer in C#. My first product is called FloSpace
FloPrompter, a teleprompter that runs on your PC. I recently released
version 2.0 which features the new Office 2007 L&F.

This project was a little bit of a challenge fore me (in a good way!)
due to the fact that the new Office 2007 L&F was completely new to me
-- and I don't even own a copy of it yet. So I wrote up a little case
study on this project which other desktop UI designers might find
interesting. If you see any points that you'd like me to expound upon,
please let me know and I'll update the blog posting.

    www.infotart.com

Separately, I'd also like to plug a workshop I'm giving June 2 here in
Boston. The talk is entitled, "Introduction to Mobile User Experience
Design". The workshop is targeted to UI designers and usability
professionals who are either interested in focusing professionally on
software for mobile platforms or may be working on a project to
"mobilize" an application. The workshop will feature some small group
activities. For more information and to sign up, please visit the
Boston UPA web site. Cost is $75 and includes breakfast and lunch.

    http://www.upaboston.org/workshops.shtml

Cheers,
Anthony Hand