[Sigia-l] October 11 -- Peter Morville & Joe Janes at Kane Hall

Betsy Rolland brolland at u.washington.edu
Wed Sep 27 09:56:53 EDT 2006

ASIS&T UW Chapter Presents

Findability:
A Cyberspace Safari with Peter Morville & Joe Janes

Wednesday, October 11, 2006
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
110 Kane Hall

At the crossroads of ubiquitous computing and the Internet, the user
experience is out of control, and findability is the real story. Access
changes the game. We can select our sources and choose our news. We can find
who and what we need, when and where we want. Search is the new interface of
culture and commerce. As society shifts from push to pull, findability
shapes who we trust, how we learn, where we go, and what we buy. In this
cyberspace safari, Peter Morville explores the future present in mobile
devices, search algorithms, ontologies, folksonomies, findable objects,
ambient advertising, and the long tail of the sociosemantic web. Reflect
with Peter and Joe as they challenge us to think differently about the power
of search - and findability - to redefine our sources of authority,
inspiration, and competitive advantage.

Tickets are required for this event and can be purchased online.

Prices:
. Students - free (tickets still required)
. UWAA members - $5
. ASIS&T members - $5
. All others - $10

For more information, please visit our website at
http://students.washington.edu/asis/event.html

Peter Morville is widely recognized as a founding father of information
architecture. He co-authored the best-selling book, Information Architecture
for the World Wide Web, and has consulted with such organizations as
Harvard, IBM, the International Monetary Fund, Microsoft, the National
Cancer Institute, and Yahoo!  Peter is president of Semantic Studios,
co-founder of the Information Architecture Institute, and a faculty member
at the University of Michigan. His work has been featured in many
publications including Business Week, The Economist, Fortune, and The Wall
Street Journal. Peter's latest book, Ambient Findability, was published in
2005. He blogs at findability.org.

Joseph Janes is Associate Professor and Associate Dean for Academics at the
Information School of the University of Washington.  A frequent speaker in
the US and abroad, he was the Founding Director of the Internet Public
Library and the co-author of eight books on librarianship, technology, and
their relationship, including Introduction to Reference Work in the Digital
Age and writes the "Internet Librarian" column for American Libraries
magazine.  He is the 2006 recipient of the Isadore Gilbert Mudge award from
the American Library Association for distinguished contributions to
reference librarianship.  He holds the M.L.S. and Ph.D. from Syracuse
University, and has taught at the University of Michigan, the University of
North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the State University of New York at Albany as
well as at Syracuse and Washington.

Please visit our generous sponsors in the Kane Hall foyer.  Doors open at
6:00 PM

The Information School
ASIS&T PNW
Seattle Public Library
WSA
MSIM program
Biomedical & Health Informatics
Technical Communications
Computer Science
Interactive Design program of the Art School
ALISS
UW Libraries Research Program Committee

Betsy Rolland
MLIS Candidate
Co-Chair ASIS&T (American Society for Information Science & Technology) UW
Chapter (2006-2007)
The Information School at the University of Washington
brolland at u.washington.edu
http://students.washington.edu/brolland/
http://students.washington.edu/asis/