[Sigia-l] Reminder: Canberra IA Cocktail Hour 07 September 2006: Topic Maps

Andrew andrew at humaneia.com
Wed Sep 6 16:13:28 EDT 2006

Reminder: this event is on tonight. Looking forward to seeing you there if you are in town and available.

The next Canberra IA Cocktail Hour will be on Topic Maps, presented by
Alexander Johannesen, Web Technology Manager at the National Library of
Australia.

Topic Maps - part tool, part state of mind; it could simply change the
way you work with information architecture. This session will be both
highly philosophical and down-right practical at the same time; how to
grab our ideas and put them down in a practical format we can use and
reuse, both as a mental exercise and as a technical delivery.

Topic Maps offer a framework (it is an ISO standard for data modelling
and has an XML-based exchange format to boot) in which we can express
ideas, concepts, structures, items and navigation; we'll find data and
metadata in a sexy symbiosis to present and reuse our ideas smarter
through all stages of development, adapt to complex changes faster, and
making the whole process a lot more enjoyable. It is especially well
suited to highly complex challenges where your domain can't all fit in
your head and your Excel spreadsheets are having trouble keeping up.
Don't deliver an assortment of documents and graphs ready to be
mislead, misunderstood or misrepresented; give them a topic map they
can pop right into their solution.

Time/date: 17:00-18:30, Thursday 07 September 2006 Venue: The
Boardroom, SMS Management and Technology, Ground Floor, 8 Brindabella
Circuit, Canberra Airport
Parking: Please be aware that there is free parking available for the
first hour only at the front of 8 Brindabella Circuit. After that
(until well after we are finished) you must pay for parking in one of
the nearby lots or risk a ticket.

Best regards, Andrew Boyd

PS: we now have a contact list for the Canberra IA Cocktail Hours: you
can join via http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/canberra_ia_community