[Sigia-l] Art and Science of IA (was Re: Empathy - Morville's take

Andrew andrew at humaneia.com
Tue Sep 5 16:28:13 EDT 2006

Berry, Nicholas F wrote:
> I think it's fair to say that he sees IA as an art, in some ways.  Isn't
> that what the empathy thing is about, anyway?  We can't quantify it or
> analyze it, so it tends to be dismissed as a factor.  So back to the
> original issue, which was "are IAs empathetic" - what matters is that
> the ones who are can be more successful because they include a piece
> that is integral to the whole experience.

Nick,

Far be it from me to interpret the will of Morville, but based on the
available evidence I think it is fair to say that he sees IA as having
characteristics of both Art and Science, from at least the time that he
co-wrote the Polar Bear books. :)

Others may wish to differ, but FWIW I agree with him wholeheartedly.
There are hard and soft science components to what we do, qualitative as
well as quantitative, left/right brain.

Cheers, Andrew