[Sigia-l] Evaluating the evaluators

Jared M. Spool jspool at uie.com
Mon Sep 4 15:17:16 EDT 2006

At 01:55 PM 9/4/2006, Peter Jones wrote:
>In large, multi-consultant projects, independent usability evaluators
>sometimes conduct parallel tests to those done by the lead contracting firm.
>I have been hired to be the evaluator when a large, expensive design firm
>(fox) also proposed to do their own testing (henhouse).

There's a technical name for this technique. It's called "Wasting Money."

>In product development, the product managers have the final say for a given
>release. If they ignore usability, they will find out soon after the
>release.

Unless the product manager was right and the usability testers were wrong.
Which, studies have shown, is likely when this type of approach is used.

Jared

510 Turnpike Street, Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
978 327-5561   jspool at uie.com  http://www.uie.com
Blog: http://www.uie.com/brainsparks