[Sigia-l] Information Architecture and Usability Professions

Andrew andrew at humaneia.com
Mon Sep 4 06:28:56 EDT 2006

Ziya Oz wrote:
> A consultant of design?
>
> If not, there's a disconnect. Usability sits in judgment of design, which
> they most likely don't practice, but not the other way around. As you can
> imagine, I'm a bit perturbed by the notion of others interjecting themselves
> between designers and their users. :-)

Not getting between the designers and the users, oh no.

Just making an evaluation of the relative usefulness of the whole
project, including the work of the designer/IA/usability folk. Taking a
photo of the glow, not getting between it and the end users :)

That usability professionals can sometimes misinterpret and pervert a
good design is a separate topic, and no argument there from me. I'm part
of a team that is about to hand a person-year's worth of design over to
usability assessors, so I can relate, trust me :)

Cheers, Andrew