[Sigia-l] Rant about bad IA practice.

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 17:43:23 EST 2006

On 10/30/06, Marianne <msweeny at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> I am hopeful that Christina's message below is meant entirely in jest as the
> Monty Python quote would suggest. It would cause me great dismay to think
> that that she is implying that alternative philosophies and opinions are not
> encouraged on the SIGIA list.

Ah. Now, this is a tricky situation, because there's something else we
don't like either, which is trolling. I certainly don't want trolls
around, and sometimes using ridicule and humour is a good way to flush
them out and remind others to ignore the bait.

The OP certainly had an air of troll about him; jump into a community
with a list of negatives about what that community do, and then watch.
And why phrase it as a truism "A sucks" instead of a question "does A
suck?" For no other reason than to stir things up. Now, one thing is
to stir things up to the point of fruitful debate; the other is to
stir only to stir. The debate is still open on that one. I say troll,
or at least a goblin.

>  I've always believed this to be a community of
> open discourse and not oligarchy where thoughts and methods are prescribed
> by the few.

No, this really is a community of people who can't let go. :)

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert