[Sigia-l] Rant about bad IA practice.

Stewart Dean stew8dean at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 28 05:25:39 EDT 2006

> From: pinpointlogic at mac.com
>
> On Oct 27, 2006, at 1:27 AM, Ziya Oz wrote:
>
> > At one time:
> >

> > 'The average user' didn't know what a browser-based email account was.
>
> I don't think they do yet. Not saying they don't use them, but call
> up your mom and tell her to "go get on a browser-based email client"

Excellent point. People tend to think of them in terms of the service NOT the technology.  They'll say 'Just got to check my Yahoo'  not 'I need to check my web based mail'.

> > 'The average user' didn't know how to use ... web-based telephony.

And most still don't  Some know how to use Skype - but that's not web-based telephony that's skype.

It's worth remembering that the majority want technology just to work and don't want/need to learn what lies underneath. For example I know that interenet based news grouops viewed through google are based upon Usenet, this knowledge doesnt help/hinder me at all and so is not needed by the user - it's just a website with a bunch of people posting messages.

Always have a healthy disrespect for all technology.   Also don't confuse the solution with the implimentation.

Stew Dean