[Sigia-l] Rant about bad IA practice.

Adrian Howard adrianh at quietstars.com
Thu Oct 26 14:00:41 EDT 2006

On 26 Oct 2006, at 17:44, Turmite wrote:

> Stewart,
>
> In some recent tests to develop a new IA we found a very strong
> preference for having a "My" section that is distinct from the rest of
> the content on the site. Essentially, the mental model includes a
> generic area and a personal area.

Ditto. I've tested "Your Foo" vs. "My Foo" in the past and users
mostly preferred the latter (about a 30/70 split as I recall). Just
one of those to-may-to to-mah-to issues.

[snip]
> Now as for Site Indexes, if the site IA and navigation is well
> designed - do we need them at all - aren't they redundant? :-)
[snip]

In my experience they're loved by various folk with accessibility
issues regardless. People able to get that overview and quick
navigation helps.

Adrian