[Sigia-l] tagging versus taxonomy

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 03:28:25 EDT 2006

On 10/16/06, Zbigniew Lukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com> wrote:
> With tags you can specify compound
> terms like 'tag1 and tag2 and tag3' while with taxonomy, as I
> understand it, you would need a separate name for each of those
> terms.  In other words  taxonomy is a language where you need a
> word for everything while tags are words plus some rules about
> how to combine them.

Hmm, a taxonomy is in its basic form really a way to get to semantic
meaning by ways of the structure of the taxa. Kant is big on
taxonomies, and it has been used as a system for very long because it
looks so much like the truth that we mistake for the truth. However,
people also talk about taxonomies that have cross-references,
cross-meaning and cross-paths, making them semantic networks more than
the basic structure it started off as.

Now, with tags and such we can also say similar things. Sure, you're
right that a tag is just one tag, and there is "something" between
those tags. Is there a difference between a taxonomy and tags with
structural rules? Not really. :)

Kind regards,

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert