[Sigia-l] Do Make Me Think!

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 14:58:18 EDT 2006

Consumers always have more knowledge about their needs than the
producers - producers on the other hand have the knowledge about how
to produce something.  But when this producer know how becomes so
trivial that users can learn it without investing too much time it
makes sens that they do it instead of the producer and use their
consumer side knowledge.

This analysis I borrow from DEMOCRATIZING INNOVATION- by Eric Von
Hippel http://web.mit.edu/evhippel/www/democ1.htm

--
Zbyszek

On 10/15/06, Ziya Oz <listera at earthlink.net> wrote:
> (With apologies to Steve :-)
>
> For sometime now the prevailing usability theme has been "Don't Make Me
> Think." Lots of architectural/design directions emanate from that basic
> assumption.
>
> There's another interesting thread emerging now: direct economy:
>
> "We're exiting an economic system based on the producer's know-how and
> heading towards one centered on the customer's know-how," says Xavier
> Comtesse, head of the think-tank Avenir Suisse.
>
> Commenting on this notion, Bruno Giussani says:
>
> "...the growing role of consumers in the creative and commercial process
> have focused on the shifting value chain: people book their own flight
> tickets (EasyJet), assemble furniture (Ikea), customize the computer they
> want to buy (Dell), trade shares online (Swissquote), submit product ideas
> (P&G and Muji and Nespresso), write articles (OhMyNews and Wikipedia) or
> book reviews (Amazon), track their own packages (Fedex),
> market/negotiate/sell/ship (eBay), and so on. These are different degrees of
> interactivity and participation. But Xavier correctly points out that there
> is another, crucial - and often neglected - dimension to this: in order to
> interact and participate and co-create, people need to develop or acquire
> specific know-how."
>
> <http://giussani.typepad.com/loip/2006/08/direct_economy.html>
>
> How the user acquires this "know-how" becomes our domain. Somewhat of a
> subtle shift on the surface, but a very significant direction for design, if
> you buy into it.
>
> Do you?
>
> ----
> Ziya
>
> Usability >  Simplify the Solution
> Design >  Simplify the Problem

> *Plain text, please; NO Attachments

> Most presentations/papers and posters have been loaded to the IA Summit 06 website:
>
> http://iasummit.org/2006/conferencedescrip.htm
> http://iasummit.org/2006/posters.htm

Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/